To what extent did slave codes limit the freedom of African Americans?
Free African Americans and slaves faced harsh discrimination, especially in the South.
Slave owners did not like free African Americans living in the South because they feared that free African Americans set a bad example and encouraged slaves to rebel.
Slave codes-laws that controlled behavior of slaves and denied them basic rights
1. Denied the right to vote
2. Denied the right to a trial by jury
3. Could not testify against whites
4. Children could not attend public schools
5. Had to carry passes to prove that they were free
6. Could not gather without a white person