Reasons for English Migration
Why did England encourage migration?
Migration-a movement from one region to settle in another region
1. Economic depression-unemployment, crime
2. Raw materials, markets-countries have colonies to make money. The colonies would be an excellent source of products and a place to sell them.
3. Water passage to Asia (Northwest Passage)
4. The lure of gold
6. Defeat of the Spanish Armada-1588-FOr a century Spain had been the strongest nation in Europe. England proved that Spain could be beaten.
No longer would the Spanish dominate the oceans or the American continents.
7. Primogeniture-an exclusive right of inheritance belonging to the eldest son-the other children did not get anything, had to find a way to survive/earn a living.