Checks and Balances Exercise
How does the system of checks and balances prevent any branch from abusing its power?
Use the chart above or the ones in your Government packet to determine which branch has the power to check the action by another branch provided.
1. May override the President's veto
2. May impeach and remove the President from office
3. May declare a law unconstitutional
4. Sets salaries of federal judges
5. Appoints federal judges
6. Recommends legislation
7. May refuse to ratify a treaty
8. Calls special sessions of Congress
9. May ratify Constitutional amendments
10. May veto bills
11. May grant reprieves and pardons
12. May rule executive orders unconstitutional